Certified Translations

Fully certified translations from Chinese to English

In the UK, there are two bodies governing freelance translations, the Institute of Translation and Interpretation, and the Chartered Institute of Linguists I am a full member of both organizations, which means my certification will be accepted everywhere in the UK.

Clients often need me to provide a certified translation of Birth Certificates, Graduation Certificates, Academic Transcripts, Death Certificates or other official documents. I can also provide translations of important legal documents such as purchase contracts or rental agreements.

Certification Process 认证过程

The certification process can be broken down into 4 steps

1. You provide me a clear scan of the source document by email (ideally 300 dpi or greater – I can talk you through the options), and a UK postage address, along with any other requirements.
2. I tell you the price and timeframe and how to pay.
3. I send you a translation of the document by email, stamped with the relevant official seals.
4. I write a “certifying letter”, stating my name, address and credentials. I stamp and seal the letter, and post it, with the translation, to any UK address in a hard backed envelope.

What makes a certified translation?

The Home Office have a page here describes what counts as a “certified translation”. It says that translators need to be members of the Institute of Translation and Interpretation (I AM!) or members of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (I AM!). So my certification is definitely what you need.

What about Notarized translation?

Many clients say they need a notarized translation when actually they need a certified translation. Contact me so I can help you figure out if you really need a notarized translation. The process for notarized translations is exactly the same as a certified translation but:

  1. I visit a “notary public” and sign the certifications in front of them.
  2. They write another certificate confirming they watched me sign the translation certification. They may also ask to verify my qualification certificates in person.
  3. We fix the certificates together and post the hard copy to you.

What about Sworn Translations

Sworn translations are a European thing, not a British thing. In the UK, a Sworn Translation is essentially the same as a certified translation. In France and Germany, a sworn translation has to be completed by a translator registered at a local court; we do not have that system in the UK.

What about a Declared Translation

This is the easiest type of certification. I just need to declare on a certificate that the translation is a true rendering of the original. I follow the same process as for certified translations for this.

What About My Problem

I can almost certainly help you. Please contact me and I’ll make sure I understand exactly what you need. Contact me for a chat!